February 14, 2012

From South Africa to Georgia: Our Love Story!

Appropriate for Valentine's Day, I am linking up to From Mrs to Mama to share our love story! Many may wonder (and several have asked) how a young tennis player from South Africa ended up marrying a southern girl from Georgia. Well, here's a bit of our history. Enjoy!


1. How long have you and your significant other been together?

Jan and I met on June 13, 2008, so a little over 3.5 years.

2. How did you meet? 

We met in the most romantic of places…and where your Mother tells you to steer clear of…in a bar. Yes, we met in a bar.

On Friday, June 13, 2008 (yes, Friday the 13th!), I was out with some friends at a local bar. I moved to Columbus about 6 months prior and only planned to stay for about another year while finishing my MBA. I was single…not looking for anyone or anything.

The story goes like this…

I was drinking a Long Island Iced Tea (which I never do).
Some boy walked by me and said, “Nice drink.”
I pretty much ignored him.
I ordered another drink.
The same boy walked by me again and said something about my drink again!
And then I heard it…I heard the accent.
Yes, it’s true…an accent will always draw attention.

Anyway, I’m sure I began the stereotypical American girl conversation by saying, “Where are you from?” BUT the interesting part of this story is that when he said, “South Africa,” I actually already knew someone who lived in Columbus from South Africa...which I thought was strange at the time, but now know it’s not…there are lots of South Africans in Columbus. Anyway, long story even longer, this person I already knew (Christian) was with this random boy, so we started a conversation and haven’t stopped talking since.

July 2008 - the beginning of my happily ever after

3. If married, how long have you been married?

We were married on March 20, 2010, so almost 2 years.

4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding? If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small?

We had an amazing wedding! It was average in size - 160 people, but everything I could have wished for, many thanks to my parents who paid for it all. I truly couldn’t have wanted anything else.

Mr. & Mrs. Greeff

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!

Jan calls me “Pooh Bear”…I have no idea how it started or why. Unfortunately, I don’t have any cute name for him.

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.

1. He loves me and Abigail unconditionally.
2. He is kind-hearted and honest.
3. He is driven to succeed and financially intelligent.

7. Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?

Jan proposed on July 3, 2009. He came to Columbus earlier than expected that day, while I was out running errands (he was living in Atlanta at the time). He arranged a heart out of roses on my living room floor and was down on one knee when I opened the front door. We actually have the entire proposal on video.

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?

Definitely strawberries, champagne and rose petals…probably because he knows those items make me happy!


9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?

Before having Abigail, I was definitely a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl…but now, I am happy with a movie on the couch as long as she and Jan are right beside me.

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?

We have an entire list of places we want to visit but if I can only choose one, my top place/thing to do is to visit the Pyramids together. (And heck, we are already on the African continent every few years, so hopefully this will be done sooner rather than later.)

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day.

Cooking dinner (as usual on a Tuesday night) and loving on my husband and child as much as possible (as usual on a Tuesday night)!

12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's Day?

No. We try to stay away from commercialized holiday stuff. However, Abigail did receive one balloon, three books and two cards this morning.

Valentine's Day 2012

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.

Find things you enjoy to do together and then do them often, as a family.

14. Show us a picture of what love means to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment