March 21, 2011

Anniversary Fun!

This past weekend, Jan and I happily celebrated our 1-year wedding anniversary on the beach…during college spring break! Ha! When Jan and I picked out our wedding date, which actually occurred before he officially proposed, we never considered that our anniversary would fall during spring break each year. Why did we pick March 20th? Well, we wanted to get married in the ‘spring’ but before it was too hot (GA = hot and humid, ugh!!) and his family (Father = college professor, Brother = college student) would be able to easily come over from South Africa during their fall break (southern hemisphere). So on March 20, 2010, I was blessed with the opportunity to marry my best friend on an amazingly beautiful spring day.

Fast forward one year and while booking our quick anniversary beach trip, we realize we will have to contend with spring breakers. Oh well! It was a great trip and a nice little escape. 

Here's a quick summary: Saturday, we had lunch on the pier at Pineapple Willy’s. Jan enjoyed a bucket of their amazing ribs and a 190-Octane/Rum Runner (mixed) cocktail and I had the grouper basket, with some h2o. We found LOTS of enjoyment ‘people watching’ and reflected on our own college spring break trips…ok, Jan reflected on his…I can’t remember mine (10+ years ago). After lunch, as we were leaving the restaurant parking lot, we witnessed a guy crash his motorbike and several drunk, scantily clad ladies embarrassing themselves. I immediately realized that we were at spring break ground-zero and needed to quickly get away. We managed to settle on the very far west side of the beach where there were hardly any spring breakers, and enjoyed an afternoon of sunshine and quiet relaxation. That evening, Jan challenged me to a round of putt-putt, where he unapologetically beat me, his 28 weeks pregnant wife. However, I did make a hole in one, so I was fairly happy with my performance. After golf, we enjoyed a nice waterfront dinner at the BoatYard. Sunday consisted of more beach time and the drive home. All-in-all we had a great time and added several more memories to our marriage storybook! 


Preparing to play putt-putt...


At the BoatYard...we may have gotten a little too much sun on the beach! 


Our 1-year anniversary on the beach and 28 weeks pregnant! 

I am thankful everyday to have Jan! He is an amazing husband and is going to be an outstanding dad. I have to pinch myself sometimes to make sure I'm not dreaming! I look forward to celebrating many, many more anniversaries...even if they are on the beach during college spring break! I love you, Jan!

No comments:

Post a Comment