March 14, 2011

Sunshine + Grill + Friends = Great Weekend!

What an amazing weekend…the weather was fabulous, the food was great and I felt nice and relaxed heading into this manic Monday, even with the silly time change!!

Weekend Highs:

-I successfully made a new Chicken Florentine casserole for dinner Friday night.
-My husband made breakfast Saturday morning…coffee and South African pancakes, yum!
-We had friends over for a grill out Saturday night…good conversation and homemade hamburgers!
-I discovered a great new picnic/bbq side dish (recipe below).
-My pale, white skin soaked up a little vitamin D. J

Weekend Lows:

-I had to spend Saturday morning cleaning house…ugh!
-I finally trimmed Daisy’s nails so she doesn’t look like Wolverine anymore…double ugh!

The great new picnic side dish I recently discovered and made for our Saturday grill out was a creamy corn salad! It is yummy and I recommend you try it when you get a chance.

What you need:

-Shoepeg Corn (1 can, drained)
-Grape Tomatoes (a handful or two, depending on how many you want, halved or quartered)
-Cucumbers (3 small salad cucumbers or 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced)
-Red Onion (one half of the onion, or whatever amount you like, diced)
-Mayonnaise (1/3 cup)
-Sour Cream (1/3 cup)
-Dill Pickle Juice (a few splashes from the jar)
-Salt/Pepper (to taste)

What you do:

Combine all ingredients together, chill for a couple of hours and serve!

I LOVED this side dish and it will become a summer staple! It is cold and refreshing, and a great compliment to any picnic or grill out. I served it with corn chips (Tostitos) but you can serve it with anything or nothing at all.

BTW…I asked Jan what his weekend highs/lows were and his response was, “My highlight was making a birdie playing golf Saturday morning and I don’t have lows.” Gotta love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment